Thursday, January 30, 2014

Week 15

Welcome to Mrs. Hastings's Cycle 2 CC Blog!  I created this blog specifically for our class as a place to keep new grammar plans, worksheet/handout downloads, sound clips, and photos all in one place for your reference and convenience.  For security reasons, this is a private blog, which means you will have to sign in to Google in order to view it.  It is only open to families from our class. 

I am so happy to be back to CC!  Thank you to all of you who prayed for me and my family, for those who took the time and effort to make and bring meals (thank you Rebecca for coordinating this!), and thank you to Mrs. Shauna Steffee for conducting class for Week's 13 and 14.  I am humbled by the outpouring of love and willingness to help by so many.  I pray that God will bless you for how you've blessed my family. 


Hopefully everyone had a blast playing in the snow yesterday!  Brooke, Sammy, and Anna, we missed you!  Anytime we're missing one of our students we really feel your absence!  I hope we can all be back together next week.  I apologize for just now getting this week's plans to you and will try to consistently have them up by Tuesday or Wednesday. 

New Grammar:

English:  Four Purposes of Sentences

Four purposes of sentences are...

Declarative.  (We said this very slowly with an exaggerated southern accent like the way southern belles and beaus would say, "Well, I do declare."  Girls fanned themselves while boys put their hands on their hips.)

Exclamatory!  (We said this loudly with expression while drawing an exclamation point in the air.)

Interrogative?  (Said as a question with hands in the air, palms up.)

Imperative.  (Said firmly and seriously while pointing in front of you because an imperative is a command or plea.)

There was also a handout given to the students listing these out with simple clip art.

Link for handout:  https://docs.google.com/document/d/18jvu1UBNDyWwjRbC-ytxXdIWS2vTOfIPFJ0Qv_NZqFk/edit?usp=sharing


Science:  What are the two forms of energy?

The two forms of energy are...

Kinetic.  (Said three times while jogging in place-- kinetic, kinetic, kinetic!)

Potential.  (Said three times while rubbing stomach-- potential, potential, potential!)


Geography:  Middle East.

Sung:  Middle East Geography, let's swim from Turkey to Cyprus, then back to Syria.

Iraq, Kuwait and Persia.  Iraq, Kuwait, and Persia, and Persia is modern day Iran.

Sorry for the low video quality-- I'm mainly posting for the audio.


Latin:  Imperfect Tense.

bam:  Think "bomb" and make exploding hand motions.
bas:  Think "boss" and point a finger like you're the boss telling somebody what to do.
bat:  Think "bot" as in "robot" and move robot arms. 

Repeat above and then continue saying, "bamis, batis, bant" with a robot voice that is slowing down due to an imperfect battery and ending with "first... conjugations.... immmmmperrrfeeect tennnnsssse..." as the "battery" dies completely.   

I think the kids have this one down pat.  ;)


Math:  Metric Measurements.

This is kind of a chant/song:

Ten millimeters equals one centimeter!

Metric measurements, measurements, measurements.

One hundred centimeters equals one meter!

 Metric measurements, measurements, measurements.

One thousand meters equals one kilometer!

 Metric measurements, measurements, measurements.

I also noted to the children that with each measurement, we're adding zero, going 10/100/1000. 

Sorry for the low video quality, this is mainly for the audio.



History Sentence:

We had a little dramatic play for this week's sentence.  Each student wore a flag representing one of the seven countries in this week's sentence (Mrs. Steffee stepped in to take a country!).  The Allied countries held hands while the Central Powers held up their arms muscle man style.  Then the U.S. came and joined the Allies.  We repeated this several times while singing the song and each student took turns being both an Allied country and a Central Powers country. 




History Timeline:

From "Japan's Isolation" through "The Seven Years' War."
Please refer to CC Connected for corresponding hand motions.


Science Experiment:  Van Cleave #164,  Bottle Organ

Key Words:  Vibrate.  Frequency.  Pitch. 


Fine Arts:  Thomas Gainsborough. 

The Blue Boy


The students painted an imaginary landscape with acrylic paints and then drew a portrait on a separate paper, cut it out, and glued it into their imaginary landscape.  I was so impressed with everyone's artistic talents this week!  Some of you showed great perspective in your landscapes!  I hope your parents can text me a picture of your completed masterpieces!

 



Presentation:   Week 16.  Bible Reading or Recitation.  Focus on enhancing your presentation with props or actions.  Try your best to memorize your chosen passage! 

Way to go Halley, Daniel, Jacob, Grace, and Ella Rose for excellent presentations this week! 


 
Grace shared with us about her Great Grandfather, a WWII Veteran and WTC bombing survivor.




No comments:

Post a Comment