Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Week 17

Brrrr.  Hopefully all of you are staying home safe and warm, and still have power today (Wednesday) and get to keep it tomorrow, too! 

I was happy to get to have some Valentine fun in class yesterday!  It was also nice to surprise Mrs. Rebecca for her birthday during morning assembly.  Happy birthday Mrs. Rebecca!  Thank you for all of your hard work for our campus, we are blessed to have you as our CC director! 






Remember:  Next week is our mid-semester break so if you come to CC next week, you're going to be lonely. 
 
 
 
 
New Grammar:
 
 
English:  A noun names a person, place, thing, idea, or activity.  I went old school for this one and taught the kids a modified "Schoolhouse Rock" song:   I find it quite interesting, a noun names a person place or thing.  I find it quite interesting, a noun names an idea or activity.
 
Just for fun (and melody) here is the original: 
 
 
 
Math:  The area of a square equals the length of its side squared.  Four students arranged themselves to form the sides of a square while the rest of us marched around them chanting "The area of a square equals the length of its side squared."
 
Latin:  Our futuristic friends, "Bo-bis" and "Bimus" joined us again for Future Tense Conjugations.  Silly story:  Bo-bis and Bimus are two guys from the future and they are eating bunt (bundt) cake.  Bo-bis bit, bo-bis bit, bimus, bitis, bunt.  First conjugations future tense.
 
 
 
 
 
Geography:  Central Europe Song.  Note-- Germany's borders proved to be tricky for students.  Switzerland is also a little tricky since it is mostly covered by the Alps. 
 
 
 
If anyone recognizes this melody, please let me know!  It's driving me crazy trying to place it.  :)
 
Science:  Newton's Second Law of Motion chant with handmotions:  Newton's Second Law of Motion, Second Law of Motion, Second Law of Motion (hold up two fingers three times), force (push palms-out hands out in front of you) equals mass (hold hands out wide) times acceleration, acceleration, acceleration (move arms in a chugga-choo-choo motion while walking around the table.)  Repeat!
 
History:  WWII Axis and Ally Leaders.  I put photos of the three Axis leaders on one side and photos of the five Ally leaders on the other side of the wall to refer to as we sang the CD song several times.  To keep Axis/Ally straight I told the kids we want to "X"
out the bad guys (Axis) and an Ally is a friend so the Allies were the good guys.
 
Timeline:  Napoleon through Romantic Period of the Arts song and hand motions. 
 
Presentations when we return on February 25 will be Demonstration Speeches.  Demonstrate how to do, make, fix, or use something.  Commit to learning your points well!  I've noticed more reading from notes and less "presenting" than in previous weeks.  (Our family is guilty of this, too!)  I know we're in the winter doldrums right now but try not to let your presentations reflect that!  Think spring! 
 
 
Enjoy your week off and have a happy Valentine's Day!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment